The Director of Development is responsible for overall operation of the Housing Authority’s construction, development, and remodeling projects for BMDC (Bexar Management Development Corporation) under the supervision of the Executive Director. The Director of Development performs managerial, supervisory, and administrative tasks involved in planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing efforts organize, plan, and see projects through to completion.
• Serves as policy and program advisor to the Executive Officer regarding property management, development and
• Coordinates and supervises work of subordinates, organizes, and provides employee training, monitors their work,
evaluates their performance, counsels staff, and makes recommendations to the Executive Director for evaluation
• Determines the programmatic objectives and financial feasibility of affordable housing development projects by
securing and leveraging public and private sector funding sources.
• Prepares and evaluates competitive funding applications for the Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program
• Prepares and evaluates project construction and operating budgets to include analysis of project performance.
• Identifies potential opportunities for development and negotiates property acquisitions and conducts site
feasibility analysis through review of appraisals, surveys, environmental reports, and title reports.
• Develops requirements & selection criteria for requests for qualifications for developers, contractors, and vendors.
• Negotiates partnership agreements with developers, loan and grand agreements with various funding agencies and
contracts for services
• Plans, organizes, and implements assigned capital improvement projects in accordance with all applicable OSHA,
state and federal building codes, regulations and Housing Authority policies and procedures.
• Ensure that all capital improvement activities are performed in accordance with Housing Authority of Bexar
County Policies and Procedures and applicable Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD)
regulations, in addition to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and guidelines.
• Identify resources needed to implement project and work with Procurement to prepare solicitation documents
necessary to procure outside resources needed. Assists in preparation and administration of annual budgets and
revisions, quarterly requests for payment funds, to develop preliminary project budget considering all labor,
materials, vendors, and contractors that will be required to implement projects, while coordinating a collaborative
process through bid documents, and other reports and statistical information.
• Obtains all necessary regulations and permits.
• Collaborates with architects, engineers, electricians, contractors, and other specialists on all projects.
• Develop preliminary project schedule considering any time constraints, such as Board meetings, Procurement
policy/procedures, holidays, permitting, etc.
• Writes and submits testing and inspection logs, quality assurance reports, and punch lists.
• Coordinate, track progress, and document progression of all necessary project meetings including pre-design,
design, pre-construction, construction job progress meetings and others, as necessary, and other duties as required